Make sure you watch the "movie"! Featuring the 1930's hit song "I'm Cooking Breakfast for The one I love"

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

De Ja Food!


I think your going to like this one. I was surffing a while back hoping to find a break through in genelogy...no luck. However, I was lucky enough to have found http://culinarygenealogy.blogspot.com. It turns out Jennifer Farley (not sure if she is related) created her blog around her family recipes. It is a treasure trove.
This blog is well done, including her old and not so old family pictures, brief family memories....but the recipe collections is superb. You must visit. I found and made this one for supper tonight. At first bite I was taken back to when I was a kid. With my eyes closed I remembered the smell and Oh! the taste of the limas.
This is perfect when served with baked ham...cold or hot.

Baked Limas
1 1/2 cups dried limas
5 cups cold water
4 slices bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup minced celery
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1 minced glove garlic
1 tblsp. flour
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. granulated sugar

Soak limas overnight in 3 cups of cold water. In the morning add 2 cups of water; cover; bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain. Place in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Cook bacon until it begins to brown; then add celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic; continue to cook until vegetables are tender and bacon is crisp. Stir in flour, add next 4 ingredients then cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Pour sauce over limas; cover and bake in a slow oven of 300 degrees for 1 hour. Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have hit a real winner there, Carol! Sounds very good...will have to go out and get some beans. Not a staple around here but should be! LOL Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete